The Acacia tree is one of Africa's enduring icons. In Field Guide to the Acacias of South Africa, author Nico Smit, professor at the Department of Animal, Wildlife and Grassland Sciences at the University of the Free State, presents a comprehensive guide that makes it easy to identify thorn trees.
In the 128 pages, soft cover guide you will find:
- A complete account of all 48 recognised species, subspecies and varieties of the genus Acacia that occur within the borders of South Africa, including four newly described species.
- English and Afrikaans names and, where available, names in German, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu.
- A concise text detailing the habitat, general appearance, main stem, shoots, thorns, leaves, inflorescence, pods and seeds of each form.
- Distribution maps as well as full colour photographs for each species of the tree, seed, leaves and thorns.
- A glossary of technical terms is provided for the non-specialist reader, as well as key references for further reading.
- The compact format and encyclopaedic style makes it an ideal field guide for the avid tree lover and botanist.