The acacias, commonly known as 'thorn trees', are probably the most distinctive and well known group of trees in Africa. They are one of the largest groups and are generally associated with a typical African landscape. This comprehensive book makes it easy to identify acacias and includes:
- a complete account of all 48 recognised species, subspecies and varieties of the genus Acacia that occur within the borders of South Africa, including four newly described species;
- English and Afrikaans names and where available, names in German, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu;
- colour photographs of the most important aspects of the identification of these plants;
- a concise test detailing the habitat, general appearance, main stems, shoots, thorns, leaves, inflorescences, pods and seeds of each form; and
- a distribution map of each form.
The book is a must for anyone with an interest in trees or South Africa's natural heritage in general. It is also available in Afrikaans.