Frits van Oudtshoorn
240 x 168 mm
Soft cover, integral binding, full colour
throughout, 380 colour photographs and illustrations
Also in Afrikaans: Veldbestuur – Beginsels en
Praktyke (ISBN 978-1-920217-56-3)
Veld is a natural resource vital to our survival on earth. About 80% of our beautiful country consists of
veld. Most of this area is used for livestock and game ranching as well as for biodiversity conservation
and recreation. Good veld management is needed to prevent land degradation and to ensure sustainable
food production and biodiversity conservation. But good veld management relies on a good knowledge of
ecological principles and veld management practices, something many land users did not have the privilege
to acquire. This book aims to provide the necessary knowledge to assist land users to effectively manage
the land under their care, a huge responsibility indeed.
Veld Management – Principles and Practices
, attempts to simplify a rather technical subject by including
more than 380 photographs and illustrations and using easy understandable language.
- Chapter 1 is an introduction to the subject and also includes important legislation.
- Chapter 2 discusses the natural resources we are managing during veld and land management, such
as soil, vegetation and water.
- Chapter 3 deals with ecological principles and includes sections on basic ecological processes, the role
of plants and animals, and land degradation.
- Chapter 4 includes all the important practices such as property planning, grazing systems, fire
management, the control of unwanted plants and many more.
- Appendix A: Declared weeds and invader plants.
- Appendix B: List of herbicides commonly used to control unwanted plants during veld and